Tuesday, November 16, 2010

How to make your own glitter ornaments using reinkers.

As with many of the things I create I cannot take full credit for this idea either. I saw this for the first time last year on another blog. I wish I could remember where so I could give credit but I read so many craft blogs I really have no idea where I saw it originally. 


This is a fun an easy way to create custom glitter ornaments
in any color you want.
The possibilities are truly endless. 
Here is what you need:
  • Clear Glass Ornaments 
  • CTMH Re-Inker in your favorite colors
  • Prisma Glitter
  • Funnel
  • Paper Towels
  • Opaque White Stazon Ink
  • Small stamps and clear blocks
  • Toilet Paper Tube
Remove hanger from ornament. Fill with 30 drops of re-inker in the color of your choice. Remember that the re-inker is very concentrated so colors will be darker that when stamping with the inks. You may need more or less depending on the size of your ornament. 
 Roll ornament in a circular motion with your hands 
to swirl the ink evenly over the entire inside. 
Be sure neck of ornament is facing down and you have paper towels
over your work surface to catch any drips.


Continue rolling and swirling until ink has covered entire 
inside surface including the neck. A toilet paper tube cut into thirds makes a perfect stand for your ornaments 
while you are working on them.

The ornament shown has an opal type finish.
Clear ornaments are available in truly clear or with the opal finish. 
Both varieties work well for this technique. 
I have a couple of the non opal ones shown below.

Using a funnel, add about a teaspoon of prisma glitter. 
This works best when done immediately while ink is still wet.

 Hold a small piece of paper towel over the opening and shake well until glitter covers the entire inside surface.

 


This is what your glittered ornament will look like.


Dump any extra glitter into a small cup and save for another project. The glitter will be tinted so do not try and dump it back into the original container, but I ended up with some fun
multi colored glitter to use later.

You COULD stop here and have a plain glittered ball. 
But it is even more fun to decorate the outside too.
I used Stazon Opaque White ink and a small snowflake from the Snow Flurries set. Stamping on the round surface of the ornament takes practice so have some stazon cleaner on hand to remove any smears or smudges.
It was hard to get a good picture of the stamped image with the light reflecting off the glass but you can kind of see it here.
Here are three ornaments I did in about 10 minutes time. The colors I used are from left to right Lagoon, Pacifica and Pear. The Lagoon one on the left was done with the opalized ornament and the Pacifica and Pear are plain clear, just so you can see the difference.

Allow them to dry several hours or overnight 
before reattaching the hanger. 

So what color will you try? There are SIXTY Close To My Heart colors to choose from so you can make these ornaments to match any decor.

To order prisma glitter or re-inkers click on the link to my website on the right sidebar. 
Enjoy!

17 comments:

NJ Stamping Queen said...

Thanks for sharing this idea. Years ago I made these with glue & glitter and a stamped image inside--these are a lot easier to do!!! I even liked your toilet paper tubes as ball stands idea! Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

Awesome!! Thanks so much for sharing. Do you know how many ornament one reinker will do?...if the size of the ornament is the same as the ones you have demonstrated.

Sheila Bennett said...

Love the colors you chose for the ornaments. Very nice blog. You have great detailed photos, and helpful ideas.

LeAnne said...

I really don't know how many ornaments a bottle of reinker will do because I have done them in lots of colors so I only use a little of each bottle. I would guess that you can easily get at least a dozen ornaments and probably more.

Tamytha said...

What a great idea! So very pretty.

Myléne Hillam said...

Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing your great idea!

entoto said...

Would this work with clear plastic ornaments? I'm not sure if that ink would coat the plastic well. Any thought?

Haley D. said...

Great tute! Thanks for sharing. They're gorgeous.

The Pilot's Wife said...

Can you buy the ink at JoAnns or Michaels? My Daughter needs something by monday....

Anne said...

I've done something similar by using acrylic paint...but I LOVE your way with the inks and glitter!!! Can't wait to try this project!

Unknown said...

I could kiss you just for posting this.

Yeah, I have been wanting to make these for years and was finally able to buy some reinkers for the first time this year. (BIG KISSES to you for sharing) <3

Sharli Schaitberger said...

Awesome! I did this project last year but I diluted the re-inker a little - I wonder if I would like it better "straight up"! Thanks for the tutorial, and your ornaments are GORGEOUS!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maymay said...

Love this, thanks so much for sharing. I really appreciate you linking to my linky party. Your site is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Wow, these are really cool! I may just have to try some myself!

Anonymous said...

These turned out beautiful! Karen

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Post a Comment

Pin it